Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chicken Chili with Pesto

While I was away in Texas for 10 days, I made Aaron some freezer meals (once again, props to my mom for sending me lists of freezer meals that she made for me while I was in college). Aaron called me to tell me that the "soup" I made tasted good! I was so confused - "SOUP?" I said, "that is CHILI!" This chili is chock full of vegetables and chicken and it is gooooood. There's no mistaking it for soup...unless you're Aaron that is.



2 Teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 Cup onion, finely chopped
3/4 Pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
3/4 cup red bell peppers, finely chopped
3/4 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/4 cup canned green chiles, chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (16 oz) can Canellini beans (or any white bean), rinsed & drained
1 (14.5 oz) can fat free chicken broth
3 tablespoons classic pesto

1. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and chicken, saute 5 minutes Add carrot, bell pepper, and celery; saute 4 minutes. Add chiles and the next 6 ingredients (through the broth); bring to a boil.
2. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in classic pesto.

No comments: