Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summer Squash Pizza

I love going to the Farmer's Market here. I knew I'd be able to find fresh squash and also that I'd get to use my mandoline slicer for this recipe. I have no other words for it other than...lovely. I got a little camera happy making this because the squash was just so pretty, and I wanted to show off what a mandoline actually does (my parents got me this for Christmas even though they didn't know what it really did - I had raved about using one when I once worked in the catering department at Utah Valley hospital). I love my mandoline - it doesn't get used that often but it makes perfectly even slices quickly...just watch your fingers!

Pretty squash

Mandoline - the tomatoes have to be really firm for the mandoline to work on them. These worked ok.

Can't wait until we have a real grill!


1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
Cooking spray
1 (12-inch) packaged pizza crust (I used a Whole Wheat Boboli crust)
2 plum tomatoes, cut into (1/8-inch-thick) slices
1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated pecorino Romano cheese
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1. Prepare grill.
2. Combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, zucchini slices, and yellow squash slices in a large
bowl, tossing gently to coat. Place squash mixture on grill rack coated with cooking spray;
grill 2 minutes on each side or until tender.
3. Reduce grill temperature to medium.
4. Lightly coat pizza crust with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly
toasted. Arrange zucchini and squash over crust. Arrange tomatoes over squash; sprinkle
with pecorino Romano cheese. Grill 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from grill;
sprinkle with basil and oregano.

Source: Cooking Light

2 comments:

Emmers said...

that looks AMAZING. I want that.

Unknown said...

Mmmm! I want some. I think this will make it on the menu at our house sometime soon...