Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sweet Corn and Blueberry Pancakes

Remember this post? Well, I showed it to my mom and she asked me when I was going to make all those wonderful things for her for breakfast! So the Sunday morning I was in Houston, I whipped up these bad boys. Delicious!! Aaron is normally the pancake boss in our house, but I think I can challenge him for that title now.

The recipe says you can also spread apple butter on them...we didn't have any, but I would LOVE to try that next time!


1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal (available at specialty food shops and many supermarkets)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus additional melted butter for brushing the griddle
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup fresh corn (approximately 1 large ear, corn trimmed off cob)
1/2 cup blueberries
Maple syrup or apple butter, for serving

Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda and sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg and buttermilk. Stir corn and blueberries into the liquids mixture. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Heat a griddle or flat pan over moderately high heat until it is hot and brush it lightly with the additional butter. Drop the batter by a 1/4-cup measure onto the griddle. Spread the batter slightly, thinning the pancakes, to form 3 1/2- to 4-inch cakes. Cook the cakes for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. As they finish, transfer them to a heatproof platter and keep them warm. Continue to add butter to the pan between batches. Serve with maple syrup or apple butter.

1 comment:

lovintheempteenest said...

I'm expecting a repeat play of this next weekend. . . we've even got fresh cornmeal in stock.