Sunday, June 20, 2010

Poblano, Mango, and Black Bean Quesadillas

This recipe was tasty. My only qualm - the avocado was definitely lacking! On day two of this recipe, I just sliced an avocado and put it on top of the mixture but before I sprinkled on the cheese. It worked. Really well.




1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups presliced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup jarred sliced peeled mango (such as Del Monte SunFresh)
1/3 cup cubed peeled avocado
4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
Cooking spray
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat broiler.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, oregano, salt, pepper,
and poblano, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans; cook 1 minute or until
thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in mango and avocado.

Place flour tortillas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Arrange about 3/4 cup bean
mixture on half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheddar
cheese over bean mixture, and fold tortilla in half. Lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray.

Broil 3 minutes or until cheddar cheese melts.

Source: Cooking Light

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I have mine with just cheese? Oh and some ketchup? Thanks.

lovintheempteenest said...

I'm guessing I know who anonymous is!
The bottled mango will add extra sugar and sliminess to this recipe. I would use fresh mangoes - assuming that you can get your hands on them as easily as we can here in Texas. For that recipe also - you are right - one whole avocado at the minimum - none of this 1/3 stuff. Of course - that immediately alters the "light" status of the recipe. Avocados are worth jeopardizing that though. I want you to try these new homemade corn tortillas I have found at HEB. When you eat them . . you really get a sense of the whole grain used to make them. They remind me of those blueberry corn pancakes you are going to whip up for us this weekend The cornmeal and the blueberries awaits (4 cups of berris in the fridge right now). See you soon. Love you!

lovintheempteenest said...

excuse my spelling errors just noticed in above entry . . I know they feel like I just scratched my fingernails on a chalkboard . . at least I saw them before you did.

Lauren said...

I think it is emily pretending to be anonymous...anyways, I did use fresh mangoes, I forgot to mention that earlier!!