Thursday, June 17, 2010

Banana Bread + Chocolate Chips

In one of my classes this past semester, one of my teachers joked about making banana bread as an offering to stop the nasty weather we were having. The next week, when it clearly hadn't worked, a few of my classmates suggested adding chocolate chips to the banana bread. It's been on my mind ever since. SO when we had some bananas turning a little brown, I told Aaron to let them go bad so I could make banana bread.

This is the best banana bread recipe I have; it's my mom's (of course) and its pretty good. In our opinion, however, the chocolate chips took away from the "banana-ness" of the banana bread. I don't think we'll be adding chocolate chips again, but I'm glad we attempted to see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps this particular banana bread recipe isn't good for chocolate chips...anyone have a good banana/chocolate chip bread recipe?


2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (about 3) ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
optional: 1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

1 comment:

lovintheempteenest said...

The older the bananas the more taste you will get out of your banana bread. I mean BLACK! This is a true case of . . . Once you've gone black . . you'll never go back.