Thursday, March 3, 2011

National Nutrition Month

Happy National Nutrition Month! It's a great time for me to start blogging again...hopefully this is the kickstart I need.  The American Dietetic Association's theme for the month is "Eat Right with Color!" 

I just taught a lesson to preschool kids about this topic in January...I encouraged them to "eat the rainbow." We also played fruit and vegetable bingo with blueberries. The best way to provide {natural} color to your plate is through adding fruits and vegetables. Not only does color provide an appealing plate but different colored foods have different nutrients - vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals and antioxidants. I'll be (trying to) blog this month about nutrition, lots of recipes and some healthy eating tips! I'm still a busy dietetic intern so I'll be doing the best I can!

You can check out ADA's website here for more information and resources! Happy March and Happy Eating Healthy!

2 comments:

lovintheempteenest said...

I love colorful food. I just whipped up a very colorful beef stew in my pressure cooker. I have decided that canned crushed tomatoes are the way to go with most recipes that call for tomatoes- they are SO FULL of flavor and create a nice thickness. Anyway - I used them in this free form beef stew (right off my head) and it was delicious. It's a good thing because we will be eating it again this week. Color - potatoes, carrots, beef, onions, red pepper, yellow pepper, butternut squash (had it in the fridge). I served it with a side order of GREEN beans . . hows that for a rainbow? Now I'm going to go have some chocolate (BROWN) ice cream with BLUEberries on top. Does that sound like the mother of the dietitian who writes this blog?

lovintheempteenest said...

Forgot about the fresh thyme and rosemary from my herb garden . . more green - and garlic and shallots - little bit of purple in those shallots.