Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Steak and Potatoes

I've made this recipe at my parent's house before...and bourbon has always been there on the "alcohol for cooking" shelf. In Virginia, in order to buy "hard liquor" you have to go to a Virginia Department for Alcoholic Beverage Control store. Once in the store, there was an entire wall of bourbon and I had no idea what I was looking at. Luckily, the little old lady working there helped me pick out the cheapest pint and sent me on my way. I felt so silly, yet so rebellious. I've bought wine to cook with at the grocery store before, but somehow this was a much bigger deal to me. Anyways, I'm fine with cooking with alcohol as long as it boils off.

Anyways, together, these are amazing and this made tons of food for us for the week. The pictures kind of stink because our kitchen lighting is not amazing ,and I promise I ate a salad with this, it just didn't make it on to the plate. Also, both of these recipes are from my mom, which means they probably came from Cooking Light.


 Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak
½ Cup Dark Brown Sugar, Packed
½ Cup Green Onion, Minced
½ Cup Bourbon
½ Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
½ Cup Dijon Mustard
1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon Worcestershire
1 (2 Lb.) Flank Steak, Trimmed
Cooking Spray

To prepare steak, combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add steak. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Remove steak from bag, reserving marinade.

Prepare grill. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut diagonally across grain into thin slices.

Combine reserved marinade and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.


Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes

3 Pounds Small Red Potatoes
6 Clove Garlic, Peeled
½ Cup Reduced Fat Sour Cream
1/3 Cup 2% Milk
2½ Tablespoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Salt
¼ Cup Fresh Chives, Chopped
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
8 Fresh Chives, Cut In 1" Pieces

To prepare potatoes, place potatoes and garlic in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Return potatoes and garlic to pan, and place over medium heat. Add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mash potato mixture to desired consistency with a potato masher. Stir in chopped chives. Mound 3/4 cup potatoes on each of 8 plates; arrange 3 ounces steak around each serving of potatoes. Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce on each plate; sprinkle with chive pieces, if desired.

No comments: