Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stir-Fried Bok Choy and Lettuce with Mushrooms

Bok Choy. Is. Delicious.

I've posted the Cooking Light recipe that guided me, but I made a few modifications:
1. I had the mushrooms that came in my box. No idea what kind they were, but they certainly weren't dried. I skipped the soaking of the mushrooms in step 1.
2. I had bok choy, not baby bok choy. I chopped the bok choy in half lengthwise and then in about fourths the other direction. This seemed to be a pretty good size. I also used the Bibb Lettuce from my box instead of romaine.
3. This didn't thicken the way it said it would and then I just had oodles of sauce and nowhere to put it. Unfortunate. Because I didn't soak the mushrooms, I added between 3/4-1 cups of water. I would recommend adding 1/4-1/2 cup instead if no mushroom soaking is required.
4. A little extra sauce came in handy however (it was still way too much though). I pan-fried some tilapia with some garlic, salt, and pepper and a tad bit of sauce from the stir-fry flavored it well.



  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 8 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
  • 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 8 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
  • 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)

  1. Combine 1 cup boiling water and shiitake mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Rinse mushrooms. Remove and discard stems; cut each cap into quarters. Set aside.
  2. Combine soy sauce, wine, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
  3. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil and ginger to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add reserved mushrooms; sauté 1 minute. Add reserved mushroom liquid and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
  4. Combine oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; keep warm.Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. 
  5. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add garlic; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add bok choy; stir-fry 2 minutes or until bok choy begins to soften. Add lettuce; stir-fry 2 minutes or until lettuce wilts. Stir in mushroom mixture and soy sauce mixture; cook 3 minutes or until bok choy is tender.

No comments: