Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Streusel Topped Key Lime Squares

I bought a cookbook; something I don't normally do. The book, Cooking Light's Cooking Through the Seasons, really caught my eye at good ole Costco this summer. Not only it does it break the book up into seasons (I'm slowly learning when specific fruits and vegetables are in season), but it also has helpful tips like the best way to cut a mango and the best way to roast garlic. So far, I love it. The recipes are far too involved for me to do during the week, but on Sundays, we eat gooooood. This was the first recipe I made from the cookbook....mmmm I can't wait to keep working my way through this book!

I didn't have lemon extract...I added a little lemon juice and little vanilla extract instead and honestly, these had so much flavor I don't think it was missed.




1/4 butter, softened
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp lemon extract
4.5 oz all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
2/3 c granulated sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c fresh key lime juice
3 large eggs
1 tbsp powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Place first 5 ingredient in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until creamy (about 2 minutes). Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Gradually add 1 c flour to butter mixture, beating at low speed until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently press two-thirds of mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) into bottom of an 8 inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; set remaining 2/3 c flour mixture aside. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
3. Combine 2/3 c sugar, 3 tbsp flour, baking powder, and 1/8 tsp salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add lime juice and eggs, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Pour mixture over crust. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven; sprinkle remaining 2/3 c flour mixture evenly over egg mixture. Bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar. Yield: 16 servings.

No comments: